RENTON, Wash. – The WIAA Executive Board held its December meeting, Sunday and Monday, December 5-6, 2010. The Board took the following action:
- Approved an earlier implementation schedule for a revenue sharing plan.
- Approved on First Reading (2nd reading, January; 3rd and final reading, March) the following State Volleyball tournament recommendations:
- Continue with 16-teams per classification and combine classifications when possible
- Continue with modified double elimination tournament; adjust placings (see bracket)
- Continue with best of five sets (3/5) for championship matches, utilize best of three sets (2/3) for all consolation matches, consolidate all tournaments into two days
- eliminates play on Thursday (lowest attendance day of the current format), and would reduce facility expenses (for the third rental day); facility savings would be approximately $5,000 in Yakima and $7,500 in Kennewick
- adequate lodging would be available in both Yakima and Kennewick
- 2/3 fee would need to be negotiated with WOA (based on 2002-03 figures, potential savings would be approximately $2,000)
Best of three sets (2/3) will utilize rally scoring to 25 points
- Allow leagues, by league adoption, to utilize 2/3 during the regular season (will require an amendment)
- Secure an alternate site for the 2A, 3A and 4A, if possible
Site updates for 2011: Spokane Arena (4 courts), Showare Facility in Kent (3 courts) and Comcast Arena in Everett (4 courts) are not available; St Martin’s in Lacey (3 courts) is interested and checking on availability
- 2 classifications can be played on three courts in two days (which would require an additional facility for a classification)
- Approved the 2010-12 Winter Allocations.
- Approved the following state tournament sites for the next two years:
- 1A Softball: To be determined during January meeting
- 3A Softball: RAC, Lacey
- 4A Softball: Merkel Sports Complex, Spokane
- Approved the 2011-12 State Golf Sites. To view the sites click HERE
- Approved to extend the WIAA Hall of Fame Nomination deadline to January 14, 2011.
Complete December Executive Board Meeting Minutes will be posted on the WIAA website at the end of this week.
The Washington Interscholastic Activities Association exists to assist member schools in operating student programs that foster achievement, respect, equity, enthusiasm and excellence in a safe and organized environment.