Concusion Management Resources
WIAA Member Schools:
- Adopt policies for the management of concussion and head injuries in youth sports.
- Shall ensure that all coaches (paid or volunteer) are educated in the nature and risk of concussion or head injury prior to the first practice/competition. This education shall include signs and symptoms of concussion/brain injury. This education is available at no charge to coaches via the sports specific WIAA online rules clinics.
- Shall annually require all athletes and the parent(s)/guardian(s) of those athletes to sign and return an information sheet relating to the nature and risk of concussion or head injury. This information sheet shall include the signs and symptoms of concussion/brain injury.
- Shall ensure that any athlete showing signs or symptoms of concussion/brain injury is removed from participation immediately, and not allowed to return to play until they have written clearance from a licensed health care provider trained in the evaluation and management of concussion/brain injury.
- Shall require all non-profit youth sports groups utilizing school facilities to provide a "statement of compliance" (below) with the policies for the management of concussion and head injury. This statement of compliance shall be returned to the school district prior to the group’s first practice/competition.