WIAA Assistant Executive Director
"Give Me 5" Resources
Feel free to use the above templates to help guide coaches, parents, and athletes. Take your program to the next level!
Please submit your most successful strategy, activity, or best practice for promoting and enforcing sportsmanship to email@example.com.
|Middle Level Philosophy
Recognizing the unique developmental needs of the middle level student, the WIAA promotes activities that build student success through active participation, increased skillbuilding, and positive sportsmanship.
- Emphasize participation over win/loss records
- Provide opportunities for everyone to participate
- Balance competition with cooperation
- Encourage lifelong participation in activities
- Emphasize having fun
- Develop age appropriate skills
- Focus on fundamentals
- Develop skills as a foundation for improvement
- Develop a positive team attitude
- Encourage, cooperate and collaborate with peers
- Present positive adult role models that demonstrate self control and (mutual) respect
Middle School Coaches Shall Understand
- Students have varying levels of ability, and coaches need to present a developmentally appropriate program for students.
- Positive encouragement is the strongest tool for learning.
- Coaches should provide a safe environment for kids to “risk” and grow.
- Activities should be meaningful and fun.
- Fundamentals and practice are the building blocks for a successful athlete.
- Coaches are a key role model.
- Every team member’s responsibility is to encourage one another.
- Today’s superstar could be tomorrow’s bench warmer and vice versa.
- The importance of commitment and responsibility.